This delicious combination of five different whole grains, three vegetables, and chicken makes for a tasty entrée on any menu.
1/2 cup Brown rice, long-grain, regular, dry
3 tablespoons Brown and wild rice blend, dry
6 tablespoons Barley, quick pearl, dry
2 teaspoons Low-sodium chicken base
2 tablespoons Quinoa, dry
3 tablespoons Bulgur wheat, dry
1 cup Fresh carrots, peeled, diced
1 cup Fresh red bell peppers, seeded, diced
1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
3 1/2 cups Cooked diced chicken, 1/2″ pieces (12 oz)
1 1/2 cups Fresh baby spinach, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 350 °F.
2. In a medium pot, combine brown rice, wild rice blend, barley, and 1 tsp chicken base with 1 ¼ cups water.
3. Rinse quinoa in a fine mesh strainer until water runs clear, not cloudy. In a small pot, combine quinoa and bulgur wheat with ¾ cup water and remaining 1 tsp chicken base.
4. Bring both uncovered pots to a rolling boil. Stir occasionally. Turn heat down and simmer over low heat until water is absorbed, about 30 minutes. Cover and cook an additional 10 minutes over low heat. Fluff with a fork.
5. In a large mixing bowl, combine carrots and red peppers. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Toss lightly. Pour into a large nonstick baking pan. Roast at 350 °F for 20 minutes or until tender.
6. Combine cooked grains, chicken, and spinach with roasted vegetables. Mix well. Return to oven and bake for 15 minutes to an internal temperature of 165 °F or higher for at least 15 seconds (use a food thermometer to check the internal temperature). Serve hot.
Highland Elementary School is a dynamic and exciting place to work or to go to school. The recipe challenge team assembled and worked hard to create a recipe that was an instant smash hit. Rainbow Rice received great reviews during taste tests at the school.Rainbow Rice is exactly that – a colorful rainbow of healthy vegetables, wholesome grains, and protein.
Rainbow rice is certainly a wonderful way to introduce children to a variety of grains that they are sure to enjoy: brown rice, wild rice, barley, quinoa, and bulgur wheat. The team believes that once you have tasted “Rainbow Rice”, you will feel like you’ve gone over the rainbow! Packed with whole grains and colorful vegetables, this recipe is a sure winner for those wanting a healthy dish without sacrificing taste.